11th grade Algebra is the mathematical study of how to understand and represent problems, make generalizations about patterns, and use mathematical tools to communicate. Trigonometry is the branch of math that studies triangles, and the relationships between their sides and angles. In this course, students will further strengthen their skills, preparing them for calculus or other college level math work. With an emphasis on problem solving and everyday applications, students’ work will focus on the conceptual foundations of mathematics.
- To explore real life situations and applications as a motivation for learning
- To use inquire and discovery in the development of algebraic understanding
- To make conceptual connections between the many topics covered
- To develop and practice skills, while solving many kinds of equations in a wide variety of mathematical settings
- To integrate multiple teaching modes into the classroom so that visual, auditory, and kinesthetic learners all benefit
- To help the girls develop a new found understanding and appreciation for mathematics in their lives
The 11th grade Advanced Algebra curriculum at Bnos Yaakov has been developed in accordance with both the standards set by the New York State Department of Education as well as by the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM).
- Linear Models and Systems
- Functions, Relations and Transformations
- Exponential and Logarithmic Functions
- Quadratic and Other Polynomial Functions
- Conic Sections
We will also begin to prepare for taking the SAT exams by practicing the types of questions commonly found on the test. This type of review will be incorporated into both the classroom lessons and homework assignments.
A major segment of the course will involve having the girls prepare a portfolio of in-depth mathematical investigations and projects. In addition, there will be frequent homework assignments and quizzes, as well as a major exam each semester.