Welcome to Art History! In Art History students will learn about modern history’s greatest artists. The students will learn to distinguish one artist’s style from another and will create their own artwork inspired by the paintings they have studied. To be able to express oneself through art is an amazing thing; art is an outlet with which to communicate one’s feelings and boost creativity and self confidence.
- Teach the students about the different movements in Art History
- Develop creativity and independent thinking
- Give students an outlet to express themselves
- Build self-esteem
- Distinguish between different artists and their styles
- The ability to analyze different paintings and determine the artist’s message
- To create their own original artwork following artists’ styles
- After having learned about the Realism, Romanticism and Impressionism, Post-Impressionism, Fauvism, Cubism, Surrealism, Magic Realism, Pure Abstraction, Abstract expression, Pop Art and Norman Rockwell, girls are encouraged to create their own artwork in the style of each artist learned from Delacroix, Monet, Van Gogh, Matisse, Picasso, Dali, Magrite, Mondrian, Kandinsky, Pollock and Warhol!
- The students have also created an artwork that complemented descriptive paragraph written in writing workshop.
- In addition to the skills/projects listed above, each student completed several free form drawings originated in their take home art journals.
- One of their culminating projects is being in an art contest for a gallery of pictures to be presented by the Bnos Yaakov dinner.
- All students will wrap up the year taking home a published magazine of the girls’ best artwork done over the year!
I am enjoying teaching the class; I love the girls’ enthusiasm and eagerness to create art. It is a pleasure to watch how art is demystified for the students and they all discover how everyone can draw if they learn the set skills proffered in art class. All of the girls have learned to draw and some have displayed outstanding talent!